Angry residents have attacked Blacktown Council for letting an illegal dump become ‘‘a mountain of building waste’’ in Riverstone before acting.
The comments came after a Sun report that the council obtained a second injunction in the Land and Environment Court last week to stop a company from continuing to dump demolition waste at Hamilton Street.
A resident (who declined to be named) said there was no excuse for the delay as the site was not hidden and could be easily seen by council rangers while driving along Hamilton Road.
He said the council was informed about it nearly six months ago before a concerned resident published the matter on Facebook to spur action.
‘‘Former mayor Alan Pendleton, who lives in the area, was one of several councillors contacted and provided with the information,’’ he said.
‘‘We may have to wait another six months for the waste to be removed as the case has yet to be fixed for hearing at the court.’’
Council successfully applied to NSW Land and Environment Court to include Riverstone Waste Transfer Pty Ltd after it obtained an injunction against the first company, Penetrators Pty Ltd, on October 4.
A council spokeswoman said it also asked for the offenders to be fined appropriately and to pay for the cost of removing the waste material if found guilty.
‘‘Officers from Council and Environment Protection Authority have visited the site and found the injunctions effective,’’ she said.
She said the council would be vigilant and act on all complaints from residents to ensure such an offence would not happen again.
‘‘It is hoped the outcome of this matter will send a warning to other people contemplating similar illegal actions,’’ she said.