YOU can better ensure your safety on the road with Blacktown Bridgestone Select's workmanship and tips on tyre maintenance.
Bridgestone Select in Blacktown has notched up five successful years in business by distinguishing itself in the industry for its level of customer service.
Franchise owner Steve Grima said he always ensured the best and fairest service around when it came to road safety.
STEVE'S SAFETY TIPS:
● Legal tread depth: Most new tyres have about eight/nine millimetres of tread pattern when manufactured, but when the tread wears down to less than 1.5mm, the tyre may be unsafe to use in wet weather and should be replaced as soon as possible.
This is also the minimum legal tread depth required for all tyres.
Tyres have indicators in their tread pattern which show as lines across the tread when reduced to 1.6mm.
● Age: There is some evidence to suggest that aged tyres have an increased likelihood of failure due to exposure to the environment.
Ideally, tyres should be kept in a cool, dry environment out of direct sunlight and away from electric motors or other sources of ozone.
If these conditions are not met a tyre may have an increased chance of failure. It is for this reason that Bridgestone recommends full-size spare tyres in the rotation schedule.
● How do I tell the age of a tyre?
All tyres are produced with a serial Tyre Identification Number (or serial TIN) that shows the date of manufacture of a tyre. The last three digits (for tyres made pre-2000) or four digits (for post-2000 tyres) of the serial TIN indicate the week and year in which the tyre was made.
● How old is too old?
This is a subject of much debate within the tyre industry and no tyre expert can tell exactly how long a tyre will last.
However, on the results of experience, many tyre companies, Bridgestone included, warrant their tyres against manufacturing and material defects for five years from the date of manufacture.
Based on this understanding a number of vehicle manufacturers are now advising against the use of tyres that are more than six years old due to the effects of ageing.
●How long will a patch job last?
If the tyre is repaired to Australian standards it should last the life of the tyre. If not you may have to replace either the patch or the tyre.
Only repairs that meet Australian standards are considered both safe and long-lasting.
● Information courtesy of Bridgestone Australia LTD.
● Details: Bridgestone Select Blacktown, 17/47 Third Avenue. Call 9622 2599 or email email@example.com. Visit bridgestoneselect.com.au.