FFA Cup: Sydney FC too strong for brave Blacktown Cityin quarter-final clash

Mitch Mallia was a bright spark for Blacktown City in its 3-0 loss to Sydney FC. Picture: Getty Images

Mitch Mallia was a bright spark for Blacktown City in its 3-0 loss to Sydney FC. Picture: Getty Images

BLACKTOWN City’s outstanding season has come to an end after a 3-0 FFA Cup quarter-final loss to Sydney FC on Wednesday night.

First-half goals to Filip Holosko and David Carney had the Sky Blues in cruise control at the break before Brazilian marquee Bobo capped his debut with Sydney’s third goal on 77 minutes.

It was a sobering result for the Demons who started the match in positive fashion, dominating possession in the early stages.

However, slow ball movement and an inability to break down Sydney’s defence was the NSW NPL champions’ undoing.

In the end the A-League outfit turned on the style to score three classy goals while looking comfortable at the back.

Blacktown coach Mark Crittenden was in a reflective mood after the match but said he could not fault the effort of his side.

“I thought we gave away a cheap goal, the plan was to stay in the game as long as we good,” he said.

“They scored to make it 1-0 after 10 minutes which probably turned the momentum. After that, they’re pretty clinical. They’re probably a yard quicker across the park.

“We just turned over too much ball at critical times. But [the players’] effort was great, they never stopped trying, they never stopped running and you just have to give credit to the other mob.”

Mr Crittenden said the club wasn’t fazed about the possibility of losing players to A-League clubs, with stars including Danny Choi and likely to move on in the off-season.

“If we get someone to the A-League or overseas then that’s great by us.

“It’s been a great three years. We’ve won everything you can win [in that time].

“We’re very proud of our boys, to get this far and play against [Sydney FC] was something very special for them... and something they’ll remember forever.”

Sydney's David Carney holds off Sasa Macura. Picture: Getty Images

Sydney's David Carney holds off Sasa Macura. Picture: Getty Images

More than 3000 fans packed into Sydney United Sports Centre to watch the match between the former National Soccer League club and two-time A-League champions.

Blacktown started brightly with Mitch Mallia at his lively best but it was his mistake which led to the first goal after 13 minutes.

Mallia did well to win the ball on the touchline but played a poor pass across goal that was picked up by Bobo.

The striker’s pinpoint cross found Holosko unmarked at the back post who measured a side-foot volley past Nenad Vekic.

It was 2-0 in the 25th minute when Carney finished off a flowing Sydney FC move with a classic falling volley that flashed into the back of the net.

City tried to find a way back into the match but found scoring opportunities few and far between. Choi struggled to find meaningful possession and was often crowded out by a well marshalled Sydney defence.

Blacktown’s best chance came in the shadows of half-time when winger Mallia worked himself a shooting opportunity but his strike cannoned back off the upright with Danny Vukovic beaten.

After the break, Choi attempted to recreate his infamous 70 metre goal when he almost caught Vukovic out with a lob from the half-way line.

It was Sydney who rounded out the scoring with about 15 minutes remaining when Michael Zullo’s low cross found Bobo on the edge of the six-yard box for an easy finish.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide