POLICE have detected more than 1400 pedestrian offences in the space of a few hours despite continued pleas for safe road crossings and a rising pedestrian road toll.
A police operation was conducted on Thursday, October 13 in metropolitan Sydney, including Blacktown and Holroyd, to raise awareness and educate road users on the vulnerability of pedestrians.
Officers issued 1443 infringement notices to pedestrians.
Operation Toward Zero was conducted in a number of areas, including the Sydney CBD, Blacktown, Holroyd, Botany Bay, Rose Bay, Hurstville and Sutherland.
So far this year, 59 pedestrians have been killed on NSW roads, despite repeated warnings for all road users to show personal responsibility and remain aware of the vulnerability of pedestrians.
Over the past 24 hours, three people died on the road and several others injured, some seriously.
The road toll currently stands at 309, 42 more than the same time last year.
Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Acting Assistant Commissioner David Driver, said personal responsibility remained a vital factor in ending this tragic and shocking trend.
“If there is a common factor that we can point to in many of these crashes, it is personal responsibility,” he said.
“All road users have to take responsibility for their actions, because they impact more than one individual.”
“To have 309 people killed on the road [so far this year] is beyond comprehension."
Acting Assistant Commissioner Driver said it was important to look out for all the signs.
“Distraction, speeding, drink or drug driving, fatigue, restrains, but most importantly, look out for each other,” he said.
“To have 309 people killed on the road is beyond comprehension.
“The vast majority of these tragic deaths could have been avoided if road users would do the right thing on the road.
“I’ve said before and will continue to urge all road users to work with us.
“This is a combined effort, a partnership between us the police and you the road user and together we can make a difference.”