Eight men charged for roles in the 2016 shooting murder of Mehmet Yilmaz in St Marys

“Each investigation has current and active lines of inquiry. We are not giving up; it’s only going to be a matter of time before arrests are made," Detective Acting Superintendent Jason Dickinson following the arrests. Picture: NSW Police
“Each investigation has current and active lines of inquiry. We are not giving up; it’s only going to be a matter of time before arrests are made," Detective Acting Superintendent Jason Dickinson following the arrests. Picture: NSW Police

Eight men have been charged for their alleged roles in the shooting murder of Mehmet Yilmaz in St Marys last year.

Mr Yilmaz, 29, was gunned down in front of a home on Brisbane Street, St Marys about 7.20pm on September 9, 2016.

He died at the scene as his fiancee, who was waiting in a car parked in front of the house, watched on.

On Thursday, police announced eight men – who they allege belonged to the same organised crime syndicate – had been arrested in relation to the murder.

Detective Acting Superintendent Jason Dickinson also revealed Mr Yilmaz had been kidnapped and assaulted for a “significant period of time” by members of the group in the weeks before his death.

Detective Acting Superintendent Dickinson said Mr Yilmaz had been “ambushed” on the night of his death, and called the murder “calculated”.

“Our inquiries are continuing, and we anticipate there will be further arrests in relation to these matters,” he said.

A man, 40, appeared before Central Local Court on Thursday after being charged with the alleged kidnapping and assault of Mr Yilmaz.

Five men aged between 25 and 31 have been arrested at correctional facilities on several charges, including murder, since October 3.

Police on the scene of the shooting on September 9. Picture: Andrew Darby

Police on the scene of the shooting on September 9. Picture: Andrew Darby

About 5am on October 5, officers attached to Strike Force Estop, Strike Force Raptor, the Public Order and Riot Squad, and the Dog Unit raided six homes at suburbs including Blackett, Meadowbank, Mt Druitt, Stanhope Gardens, St Marys and The Ponds.

Two men, 28 and 46, were arrested during the operation.

The 28-year-old was charged with being an accessory after the fact to murder, and participating in a criminal group.

He was refused bail to appear at Burwood Local Court later today.

The 46-year-old man was charged with detaining someone in company with the intent to get advantage, causing actual bodily harm, and wounding with intent.

He was refused bail to appear at Mount Druitt Local Court on Thursday.

Detective Acting Superintendent Dickinson said strike force police had previously seized 84 firearms, 12,000 rounds of ammunition and $400,000 worth of drugs as part of the investigation.

He urged anyone with information about the alleged murder to contact police. 

Call Crime Stoppers, 1800 333 000, or use the online reporting page.

This story Eight arrested following ‘ambush’ murder in St Marys first appeared on St Marys-Mt Druitt Star.